Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Flying Solo

All too quickly, our trip to America arrived.  After weeks of planning, list-making and worrying, it was go time.  Since Jay was leaving a few days after us, he was able to drive us to the airport, and we decided to stay in a hotel near there the night before our flight since otherwise we would have had to wake the girls up early and drive into London during rush hour.  We had a relatively easy drive to the hotel and a lovely last family dinner.

Last family dinner!



The next morning, after a relatively good night's sleep (as good as can be expected with two adults and two toddlers sleeping in the same room), we headed off to the airport.  Jay parked and went with us to check in - so helpful with the bags we were checking.  Then we headed over to security and said our goodbyes.  It was tough, but not wanting to upset the kids we kept our composure and tried to exude confidence.  And then I was on my own!

Last morning with Daddy
 I was incredibly fortunate that getting through the airport was surprisingly easy.  Right after saying goodbye to Jay I headed through security, and the agent looked me in the eye and said "you take all the time you need" completely sincerely.  It felt like such a good omen, and it was.  At every turn, whenever I'd find myself in a situation that seemed impossible on my own with two toddlers, someone would suddenly appear to help.

Made it to the gate! (With a very overtired Cali)

Our chariot.  Loaded up with three backpacks, two car seats and usually one child.
(The front backpack was relocated from the back hook to keep the stroller from tipping)

I knew the biggest hurdle was going to be physically getting onto the plane once I had to leave our stroller at the gate.  But a very kind Heathrow worker saw me, confirmed I was alone, and took over.  He pushed the stroller all the way to the gate while I had Cali in the carrier and held Ceci's hand.  Then he carried both carseats on board and put them in our seats, put my backpack in the overhead compartment and the girls' under their seats, then arranged with the crew to have my stroller stored on board so that I'd be sure to have it immediately upon landing in Boston.  Amazing!  He was my guardian angel.  I made sure to get his full name and sent a message to Heathrow singing his praises.

Seated!
 The girls did great on the plane.  There were a few tough moments for each of them when they wanted to get down or were overtired, but overall I was so, so proud of them!  The struggle of getting two car seats through the airport and onto the plane was totally worth it to be able to strap them in and know they were safe and secure.  Plus, it meant I had my hands free to attend to them both, feed myself and even occasionally catch a TV show on my own screen.


They kept busy with new toys from Daddy, watching videos and playing games on their tablets, watching videos on the seat back screens, eating, and even playing with the little boy sat in front of Ceci.

 

 

Of the 6.5hr flight, Cali slept for just over an hour.  And that's it.  Considering she normally sleeps about 2.5hrs during that time frame (and Ceci usually sleeps 1.5-2hrs), the girls were incredibly overtired when we landed.  But they were really troopers.  

The lone nap on the plane.

Finally giving in on the ride from the airport.
(Well after normal bedtime back in UK)

That night we went for a quick dinner on the way back from the airport then all went to bed.  The girls did better than expected adjusting to the time zone change.  We had some really early wake-ups (think 3am) but within a few days they were pretty much back on schedule.  Nearly two weeks in and they're both doing great!

They both really miss Jay, and struggled with the change at first (Cali was waking up more at night and was harder to put sleep; Ceci started having potty accidents daily after having none for weeks and was crying at bedtime, wanting me to stay with her) but that's all gradually improved over time and they're both back to business as usual.  Thankfully we're able to video chat with Daddy almost daily and they love watching the story videos he made for them on their tablets.  We also have lots of pictures of him around and talk about him often.

The distractions that America has to offer has also been hugely helpful.  The girls love spending time with Nan and Gramps, and I think having extra adults around constantly providing support has made a big difference in easing the transition.  I can not thank my parents enough for welcoming us and taking such good care of us!

Puzzles with Nan

Running around with Gramps

TV time with Gramps

Feeding ducks with Nan

Strolling with Gramps

Checking out the boats with Nan.

There's been lots of additional fun as well.  Ceci had her first haircut with "Auntie Amy", the Emilio cousin Easter Egg hunt, Easter Sunday at Great Nana's, a family birthday party, cousin playdates, and lots of adventures.  Keeping a full schedule has also helped to ease the transition and keep our minds off of missing Daddy.

First haircut - she was SO good!
And even pretty braids.

Ta da!

Egg coloring at Emilio Easter

Egg coloring at Emilio Easter

Egg hunting at Emilio Easter

Egg Hunting at Emilio Easter

Chilling with cousins at Great Nana's

I'm so proud of these little monkeys.  They've proven to be amazingly resilient and continue to be their silly selves through it all.  Though there's been challenges and struggles, there's also been lots of fun and so much love.  


No comments:

Post a Comment